Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Robbins @ UVA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member rookie83's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2007
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Robbins @ UVA

    heard he pitched better this game.
    started out with 2 strikouts then hit two ... with later innings of 7 strikouts in all and 5 walks with 5 innings.


    Anybody got any more info about this game & other players? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_six4three's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    571
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Robbins @ UVA

    i hope he does well, the only thing is the team they played is 0-13.

    looks like the local boys did well though.....robbins, begley, christian.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member rookie83's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2007
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Robbins @ UVA

    i heard he pitched like crap the other games they let him pitch in.

    but Begley pitched pretty good though. one run in 5 innings with 2 strikeouts atleast i think.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Squirell's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2006
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Robbins @ UVA

    Southern Virginia was pretty weak from what I saw, they are a mormon based school which means once it's time for them to go on their mission they are gone. They only had 2 juniors i think and the rest were freshman. I didn't get to see the whole game when Robbins pitched but he started off kind of shaky, something was off in his delivery in a little bit looked like he was trying to aim the pitch instead of just throwing it. Hopefully he will continue to get better in future games.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member rookie83's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2007
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Robbins @ UVA

    i thought the same thing. you can't really depend on him for some reason. most go in the dirt. never consistent. but that kid does have one heck of a slider.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member greencrest1272's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    1,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Robbins @ UVA

    I think that are something like 0-13, so whatever that tells you.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

    -Teddy Roosevelt

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Robbins @ UVA

    WISE ? Southern Virginia University was overwhelmed by a pair of pitchers from Southwest Virginia on Tuesday afternoon.

    Matt Begley (J.I. Burton) and Brad Robbins (Powell Valley) both turned in strong performances on the mound as the University of Virginia's College at Wise swept Southern Virginia in a non-conference baseball doubleheader.

    UVa.-Wise won both games by a score of 13-1 and both contests were shortened to five innings due to the mercy rule.

    Along with the solid pitching performances, UVa.-Wise (9-2-1) finished with 24 hits on the day and the Highland Cavaliers were never seriously threatened.

    "We got some pretty good pitching from the middle of the week guys," UVa.-Wise coach Hank Banner said. "We've not been swinging it well lately, but we had some better reps. We hit and ran a little bit and pressed the issue and got some runs early."

    In the opener, Begley (2-0, 0.73 ERA) allowed just one run on three hits in five innings. The junior did not issue a walk and struck out two.

    It was a typical performance for the right-hander. In 12 1/3 innings of work this season, he's allowed just one earned run on five hits.

    "I felt really comfortable up there," Begley said. "I got in a rhythm, threw strikes and the defense made the plays. When you get 13 runs, it's kind of easy."

    Game 2 was highlighted by Robbins' first career collegiate victory. The Western Carolina transfer allowed one run on just two hits while striking out seven, walking five and hitting two batters in five innings of work.

    "It feels pretty good," Robbins said. "I wanted to be a little more consistent, but I'll take it."

    While the left-hander struggled with his command at times, he credited UVa.-Wise pitching coach Doug Bates with his success. Bates is in his seventh season as the Highland Cavaliers' pitching coach.

    "In the third inning, Coach Bates told me one thing I was doing wrong and after that I was doing good. Even if I walked somebody, I was around the plate," Robbins said. "Coach Bates has been unbelievable and helped me out so much. I'm as confident right now as I've been on the mound."

    The Highland Cavalier hitters also gained some confidence against the weak Southern Virginia pitchers. The Knights (0-15) entered the game with a team ERA of 8.26 and that was inflated against UVa.-Wise.

    Matt Hall (Carroll County) was 5-for-7 with four RBIs on the day, while Alice Lloyd College transfer Clay Christian (J.J. Kelly) drove in four runs in the two games.

    Jeremy Wright (Virginia High) also collected an RBI in the opener for UVa.-Wise.

    The Highland Cavaliers host Appalachian Athletic Conference foe Covenant on Friday.

    "I feel pretty good about the whole situation," Robbins said. "We've got some real good arms and a lot of our guys have been hitting the ball well. I like our chances."

    [email protected]|(276) 645-2570

    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •